“Though he was in the form of God, [Christ] did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.” Phil 2.6–8
Season’s greetings to our church-planting partners!
This past month has been for our family an incredible time of meditation on the Incarnation and on the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ, and we pray it has been for yours too. What an undeserved grace that Christ willingly took on flesh and then substituted Himself for us on the cross in order to bring us into fellowship with the Father. Our prayer is that Christ’s life, death, and resurrection would continue to transform us into the people God wants us to be.
This season has also given us an opportunity to reflect on the many ways God has blessed us over the past year. We were blessed with a healthy new addition to the family (Jack) despite an early delivery and time in the NICU; we had a whole year of living close to (or with) our families after having been away from them for almost 5 years; we saw two of our siblings get married to godly spouses; we connected and reconnected with so many people as we raised support; and we received almost all of the support we need to live in the Czech Republic! And God blessed us in so many other ways as well. This was not necessarily an “easy” year, but it has been a blessed one, and it is one for which we are incredibly grateful.
We wanted to keep this update brief since this time of year is generally a hectic one, but there are a few things we wanted to make sure to mention:
- If you have expressed interest in supporting our ministry in the Czech Republic and have not yet begun to do so, then we would love to connect with you and discuss how and when you can begin. We are hoping to have our finances in order soon so we can focus our time and energy on all that needs to be done before our move, and it would be a huge help to know as soon as possible who will be on our support team so we won’t have to raise support all the way up until the time we leave. We have A LOT to do between now and then and it would be great to be able to check that off our list!
- Don’t forget about end-of-the-year giving! We need to raise around $15,000 in startup costs, and there is still time to support our ministry with a tax-deductible, year-end gift. All our giving info is located below.
We are so grateful for your prayers and support, both for us and for our team. You are certainly one of our most evident blessings, and we thank God for you and your partnership in this effort.
- We are now into the 2-month countdown to our departure! It is hard to believe the time is almost here to begin the next leg of our journey, but it is fast approaching! We bought plane tickets for the 25th of February and we’ve signed the rental agreement for our apartment. It’s getting very real!
- This was easily the best Christmas we can remember. Almost all our family was in town, and we had such a rich time with them. It’s sad to think this will be our last Christmas in the U.S. for a while, but we couldn’t have asked for a better one before we head out.
- Despite having to devote less time to raising support this month, we still added some new partners. God continues to provide for this ministry, many times in spite of us!
- Pray that God would heal Lily of her current sickness. We had to take her to the hospital last night because her cough got so bad.
- Pray for us as we travel over the next month. We are speaking 5 Sundays in a row at 5 different churches.
- Pray for us as we move back in with April’s family in order to consolidate our belongings before we load them into the crate. We will be packing everything but a few suitcases’ worth of clothing into the crate at the beginning of February, and we have a good bit of sorting and organizing to do before then.
- We found out this week that 3 churches we were hoping would be able to support us will not be able to. This news doesn’t dramatically affect our budget, as we had only factored one of them into our support, but we are still hovering around 90% as a result. Please pray that other families and churches will be able to join our support team and help us get fully funded. We would love to be at 100% before we send out our next newsletter!